Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Are You Proud of Your Country?

Are You Proud of Your Country?

By Austin Witthun

Authors note: This is a piece about patriotism. It is to inform the reader about my feelings about my country.

Are you proud of your country? What would you say if you were asked that question? I would hope that no one says no to that. Soldiers have fought and died for this country and then someone says that they are not proud of her. That would really tick me off. This is why I believe that everyone should be proud of their country.

My fellow Americans, ask not what your country do for you, ask what you can do for your country.” This was said by John F. Kennedy, the 35th President of the United States of America. It’s saying that you should serve your country rather than be served by it. The people, who have listened to that and have really taken it in, might have served by joining the military. This is why we have the freedoms that we have, because of those who have sacrificed so much so ensure our freedom. That is why we have the rights and freedoms that other countries don’t have.

One thing that helped with the freedom our country we have today is our military. Our military helped us win the world wars keeping our freedom. We have never lost a war, with the exception of Vietnam, although we have lost a few battles along the way. This is why I think that the U.S. is the biggest and best military power in the world. When we were becoming a separate country from Britain, our military helped us to gain our independence.

The only reason that I would ever say that I would ever say that I am not proud of our country is because of all the crime and violence. That is a terrible thing that is happening in the U.S. with all the freedoms and rights that we have are often abused. Sure there is killing and crime in other countries but here many say that we are supposed to be more civilized. Many of the freedoms we have are often taken for granted. As Dick Cheney once said: “It is easy to take your liberty for granted if you have never had it taken from you.”

There are so many freedoms that we don’t even realize we have. Few countries have as many as we do. These are the reasons that I am proud of my country and to be American. Where ever they live, everyone should be proud of their country.

No comments:

Post a Comment